Monday, October 15, 2012

I am a big believer in giving credit where its due.

I owe everything I have, my home, my relationships, my education to my parents and my family. My father was in the middle of 8 kids. His father divorced my grandmother before he graduated college. My father got to college through football and kicked ass while he was there, being recognized as the outstanding senior at his graduation. His high school counselor had suggested he start out at junior college, since maybe he couldn't handle a full time college life. He went on to put himself through law school. (His first case was against his own father for non-payment of child support.) He also took on the burden of raising his two youngest brothers from about 11 through high school while just beginning practice as an attorney.

I, on the other hand, was raised from a very young age to value education above almost all else.

My father: "Next to your health and your family, what is the most important thing?"
My sister and I: "A good education!!"

In case you are wondering, I am on the right. Also, yes, I am still mad about that unfortunate haircut.

It was a mantra repeated over and over in our house. There was never a question of going to college. When I was a senior in high school, I wanted to take a ceramics course. My dad was worried it wouldn't look like a college-bound course to admissions counselors. (Right next to all the honors courses and dean's list letters.) I was also fortunate enough to have my undergraduate college paid for by my parents. That was the deal. Our parents paid for undergrad, grad school we were on our own.

I have always thought that since I was given such amazing opportunities, I had to do more with them. Isaac Newton said "If I see farther, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants." 

As I approach this pagan blog, I know I am not starting from scratch. I stand on the shoulders of those who have come before me. So, please indulge me as I go through and thank the writers who have helped me along my writing path, as well as my pagan path.

Thanks to all bloggers who gave this a read last night. I hope to hear some feedback as my entries increase.

Quick shoutout to Fire Lyte, whom I am sure many of you know and love for his blog Inciting a Riot. Did you know he is kind of a big deal?? He's always been very supportive and helpful to me in my pagan-blog/podcast wanderings, even encouraging me to do my own.

Also a shoutout to Kat Borealis of Borealis Meditations. She took the time to read my first entry here and follow me on Twitter (at least I am assuming so, because I don't know anyone else in Alaska!). I also really enjoy her podcast. I hope she'll come to MN one day and teach me about the rock formations in our Mississippi River bed. I took geology 101 in college, but damn its been a long time.

Where would I be without Cory and Laine over at New World Witchery? I never had any idea of what hoodoo was if not for stumbling across this podcast. My husband even listens to some episodes. He thinks Cory has a "theater voice." Seriously though, this podcast and its accompanying blog has had a serious impact on my personal practice. I love the practical side of hoodoo. I am not one for elaborate rituals and circle-casting for every spell. I like that the practice is designed for its practitioners to use what's found around them and in their environment.

Last but not least, the Great Velma Nightshade. My first pagan podcast I ever listened to was Witches BrewHaha. Thank you for the tips, the wit and the many episodes!

This is by far not an exhaustive list. But these folks are some of the most influential for me over the last year. I look forward to joining their ranks and I hope my blog (and/or future podcast) is better for having listened to and read theirs.

"I thank Momma for the cookin', Daddy for the whoopin', the Devil for the trouble that I get into./I got to give credit where credit is due. I thank the bank for the money, thank God for you!" - Sawyer Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment